Monday, February 14, 2011

Massachusetts vs. Providence, 2/12/11

Mullins Center
I was getting ansty, I needed to get to a game. I checked the schedule and saw Massachusetts was playing Providence in Amherst so I got in the car and headed up I-91.

It was a pretty pleasant drive, until I entered the Commonwealth. There were red lights ran, unsignaled lane changes, speeding, and I was flipped off...twice. Ahhhhhh yes, I will always hold a soft spot in my heart for Massachusetts drivers.

I got to campus about half an hour before game time. The first thing I noticed were the high-rise dormitories. This is the Town of Amherst. The tallest building is two stories. Yet when you get on the UMass campus, you've entered some kind of alternate reality. Hey, I understand you're the flagship university of the state with almost 30,000 students, but have some common sense to make the campus fit in with the town a bit more.

Massachusetts goalie Paul Dainton '11 
I pulled into the Mullins Center and bought a ticket by the student section. The Mullins Center is an impressive building yet, seemingly following the campus' disregard for traditional aesthetics, it reminded me of an AHL arena - too much for college, not enough for the NHL. It opened in February of '93 and has a 8,387 seating capacity. It was utilitarian - black ceiling, video boards at each end, corporate sponsors EVERYWHERE, and most importantly, no band in sight. The whole place reeked of "corporate character."  

The building also houses the University's basketball team so I won't criticize the set up too much. If you're a state institution, you can expect to have a multi-purpose building for hockey and basketball. Wisconsin, Ohio State, Northern Michigan, and even tradition rich Maine are some of the others that do it. The one thing that did impress me was the theater-style lighting (lights directed towards the ice). It forced you to pay attention to game and made the atmosphere more dramatic.

Providence's Chris Rooney '13
Before the drop of the puck, I had gotten over the fact that there wasn't a band there. A singer was presented along with our nation's colors to perform the national anthem. I've never heard somebody butcher the national anthem worse than this dude, he couldn't hold a tune if you put a gun to his head. I cleaned out my ears and began to hear a recording of a band playing the University's fight song played over the arena's speakers. To my astonishment, the fans chanted the lyrics whole heartedly. I considered packing up and leaving...

Finally some hockey was played. Massachusetts got on the board first when Kevin Czepiel '13 took a shot from the top of the circle and Mike Marcou '12 put in the rebound. The crowd erupted, complete with the standard Gary Glitter goal song and Minuteman mascot handing out high-fives. 

It looked as if Providence sealed it own fate when Danny New '12 gave the puck away at his blue line and T.J. Syner '12 kindly took it in, slid it cross crease to Freshman Joel Hanley, who put it in the empty side. 

Massachusetts' Troy Power '14
However, a little less than five minutes later, Providence scored on the Power Play. A shot from the point by Eric Baier '11 found its way through the traffic in front and put the Friars on the board. Not a single Providence fan was in attendance. No slight murmur of a cheer, there was only a collective sigh from the 2,667 fans in attendance. 

Before you knew it, Providence had scored two more goals and went into the 3rd period leading 3-2! The Hershey's Ice Cream ad above the scoreboard had been selling to me all game so I finally relented. To my surprise, the concessions stand didn't take credit cards. Are you kidding me? You don't take credit cards in this corporate castle? I'm 22 years old, I don't carry cash...

Providence Alternate Captain Ben Farrer '11
After somewhat of a slow 3rd period, Massachusetts remembered it was down a goal and picked up the intensity. With 38 seconds left, Chase Langeraap '11 found a loose puck from the scrum on the side of the net and snuck it past Alex Beaudry '11 to tie the game at 3. Overtime. 

The five minute extra frame was the best five minute piece of hockey the game had produced. End to end rushes, big hits, and good passing and shooting. Alas, both teams kissed their sister, conceding only to a draw. It was a good game, the Mullins Center makes for a good atmosphere, I'm just picky when it comes to venues. 

The Connecticut/Sacred Heart game was a blast. I'm headed up to Boston for the Beanpot and will get those 2 games up asap. 

CPF

No comments:

Post a Comment