Saturday, December 11, 2010

Maine vs. New Hampshire, 12/10/10

Alfond Arena
I don't even know how to describe it. It was one of the greatest hockey games I have ever had the privilege of attending.

I remember since I was 5 years old, I wanted to play college hockey for the University of Maine. After the Black Bears won the '93 National Championship, I always followed the team and rooted for them every year they were in the NCAA tournament. When it dawned on me that the prospect of playing hockey at Maine was out of my reach, I also realized that my academic goals and Maine's academic offerings did not quite match up. But I still held a soft spot for the school. In the 8 games I had been to so far this season, this was the first where I committed the Cardinal Sin of sports journalism...I rooted for the home team.

I got in the car around 11 a.m. and hoped to get up to Orono with enough daylight left to see the campus. Yet by 4:00 I was still en route and darkness had engulfed Vacationland. I was out of luck and out of light. However, what greeted me when I arrived made up for my botched plans. 

I pulled into the Harold Alfond Sports Arena at about 5:45 and spotted a mass of undergrads waiting to get in. There were at least 2,000 people outside, in the 16 degree weather, having the time of their lives. There was music playing, beer cans flying, and UMaine chants to the tune of the "O-lay" soccer chant. This was a great atmosphere. I can only compare it to Cornell. These students loved their Black Bears. 

The Maine band
Finally they let us in the arena. With my toes, ears, and nose slowly regaining feeling, I took in the one cathedral I had dreamed about since I was kid. "I made it," I said to myself. Albeit as a spectator rather than a player, it still felt great to finally see where Maine hockey makes its home. Alfond Arena was built in 1977, holds 5,641 people for hockey and 5,712 people for basketball. The building felt cramped, but made for a bandbox-type setting. It got really loud.

I managed to get a seat at the blueline about 7 rows up. It was a great seat however the top of the glass did obscure my view a little bit. The sellout crowd also crammed the concourse making bathroom breaks and snack bar trips quite frustrating. 

Maine's Brian Flynn '12 and UNH Captain Mike Sislo '11
Corporate sponsors galore. Every part of the boards, every skybox, and ice had sponsors all over it. But for some reason I didn't feel like it ruined the atmosphere. I guess that's how a sellout can change your perspective. And yes, a hockey game was eventually played. 

The atmosphere was ecstatic. The band set the tempo and the student section did all it could to make UNH feel unwelcome. The students sat on a porch that basically hung over the UNH goal. They were right on top of the Wildcats and taunting them with such classics as "SIEVE SIEVE SIEVE" and "OVERRATED". 


The Black Bears are out of the cage.

New Hampshire's Paul Thompson '11 opened the scoring on the Power Play a little over 5 minutes in. Maine's Robby Dee '11 found a loose puck in the slot and tied the game a minute later. The way the 2nd period started set the tone for the rest of the game. Hobey Baker prospect Gustav Nyquist '12 skated in on a breakaway to start the 2nd and displayed incredible patience with the puck before flipping it in the top left corner over goalie Matt DiGirolamo '12.

Nyquist is a sniper in every sense of the word. He lurks on the ice, often waiting for the perfect moment strike. In an instant, he can turn on the jets or find the incredible pass through a maze of skates and sticks. He's stealthy, never trying too hard, but also not fooling around out there. He's not the best in his own zone, but when the Swede turns it on, he turns it on full notch. Simply, when Nyquist went out on the ice, all 11,282 eyeballs in Alfond Arena went with him. He's a special player. 

Gustav Nyquist '12 potted a goal and an assist.

With the Black Bears leading 3-1 after 2 periods, it looked like this game was over. But one should never count out the number 3 ranked team in the country. UNH came out hard, tying the game at 3 with only 18.3 seconds remaining. The ensuing silence was only broken by the horn signaling the end of the 3rd period. Overtime next. I couldn't take it anymore, I put down my camera and notepad and took in everything this hockey game had to offer. I became a fan. 

8th ranked Maine attacked the Wildcats from the onset of the OT period until a quick rush by UNH 1:26 in broke every heart in Alfond arena. Freshman Jeff Silengo was the hero tonight, finding a loose puck in the slot to win it for the Wildcats. 4-3 the final, New Hampshire comes back to beat Maine in one of the greatest hockey games I have ever been to.

Like I said, I don't know how else to describe it.

CPF

1 comment: